Inverell Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Inverell
Inverell is a vibrant, bustling town in New South Wales, Australia, known for its rich cultural heritage, fascinating landmarks, and historic prominence. It has given birth to some of the most distinguished and famous people who have impacted the world in various ways. Here are a few of the prominent figures who have called Inverell their home:
1. Julie Bishop: Julie Bishop is a former Australian politician who served as the Deputy Leader of the Liberal Party of Australia from 2007 to 2018. She was born in Lobethal, South Australia, but spent her early years in the town of Inverell. Bishop is known for her strong leadership skills and her contributions to Australian politics.
2. George Woolnough: George Woolnough was an Australian footballer who played for the South Melbourne Football Club in the Victorian Football League. He was born in Inverell and played for the Inverell Football Club before moving to Victoria to pursue his football career. Woolnough is regarded as one of the greatest footballers to come from Inverell.
3. Andrew Johns: Andrew Johns is a former Australian rugby league player who is considered one of the greatest players of all time. He was born in Cessnock, New South Wales, but his family moved to Inverell when he was a child. Johns played for the Inverell Hawks before moving on to play for the Newcastle Knights in the National Rugby League.
4. Arthur Beetson: Arthur Beetson was an Australian rugby league player and coach who played for the Eastern Suburbs Roosters, Parramatta Eels, and the Balmain Tigers. He was born in Roma, Queensland, but his family moved to Inverell when he was a child. Beetson is regarded as one of the greatest rugby league players of all time.
5. Donald Bradman: Donald Bradman is regarded as one of the greatest cricket players of all time. He was born in Cootamundra, New South Wales, but his family moved to Inverell when he was a child. Bradman played for the Inverell and District Cricket Association before going on to play for the New South Wales and Australian cricket teams.
6. Tom Burlinson: Tom Burlinson is an Australian actor, singer, and songwriter who is best known for his roles in the films "The Man from Snowy River" and "Phar Lap". He was born in Toronto, Canada, but grew up in Inverell. Burlinson has also released several albums and regularly performs in concerts across Australia.
7. Ross Turnbull: Ross Turnbull is an Australian computer scientist and inventor who is best known for his work in the field of artificial intelligence. He was born in Inverell and graduated from the University of New South Wales with a degree in computer science. Turnbull has worked for a number of leading technology companies throughout his career and has been awarded numerous patents for his inventions.
These are just a few of the many distinguished and famous people who have come from the town of Inverell in New South Wales. From politicians and sports stars to actors and inventors, Inverell has produced some of the most talented and influential figures in Australian history.